Friday, March 20, 2009

Pearl Lam

Through a mutual friend I was invited to a dinner party at Pearl Lams home, a 22nd-floor, 900-square-meter (9700 square foot) loft in the French Concession district in Shanghai. Pearl Lam is one of the worlds wealthiest women and is credited for boosting Chinese contemporary art and design to the attention of the art world.
Dinner was served on these porcelain hands holding a jade plate.

Not a paddler per se I am sure she would enjoy it given a chance. Her table seats 70 and was full. An army of servants served dish after dish of the most delicious courses impossible to define.

Pearls dinner table. My wife Camilla somewhere out of focus.

The "loft" was wast and filled to the brim with contemporary asian art. Pearl is a sort of Asian Gertrud Stein on steroids.
My son Axel conversing with art dealer Ivan (who also sells Gulfstream jets and super yachts) and Moxian Sun who works for Pearl.

This involves taking contemporary artists under her wing and hosting terrific dinner parties with interesting people on a weekly basis.

I sneaked a couple of photos with my Iphone but was to shy to take one of our hostess so here is a one from the internet.

I had a grand time and it was quite a contrast commuting out to our kayak factory in the industrial suburbs of Shanghai the next morning...
Another borrowed picture of Pearls kitchen.



the morning after, riding to work...

I wonder what Pearl is doing...

5 comments:

Kri Kri said...

WOW! That must have been an incredible experience! I loved the hands! But, I'm not so sure that I could cook in the kitchen...
Everything was so stylin'/I would have loved to have seen more. Perhaps I will venture on to the web.

Richard at Point 65 said...

I'm not sure anybody uses that kitchen. there must be a real restaurant style kitchen tucked away in one of the inner parts of the place...

Anonymous said...

Looks brilliant! What a stimulating place (and more so, the person behind it!)

Joe O' said...

Awesome photos Richard. Great to see the pics of China as well as of your facility over there. I'm still working on getting your kayaks into my local market here in Thunder Bay Ontario Canada.

Cheers...Joe O'Blenis

Richard at Point 65 said...

thanks! looking forward to getting some boats on the superior!