Saturday, June 7, 2008

June 8th Baby steps in China

I just arrived in Shanghai yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. First I noticed that I could open and work on my blog! Googles "Blogger.com" has previously been blocked and I have been forced to hold of on blog entries between trips here. The Chinese have been blocking blogger to shield it's people from blogs critical of China or rather it's government. I have no idea why they have eased this now. As I have understood from media reports that censorship was expected to tighten before and during the Olympics...

Second surprise was when I noticed that Wikipedia was open as well. Also Wikipedia has previously been blocked for the same reasons but now I can surf all content freely and fast. Makes life easier here and feels like another small step has been taken.

No comments: